USS Texas (BB-35) Flagship of the Texas Navy
Commissioned in 1914, this World War I and II battleship is berthed at the San Jacinto Monument in La Porte, Texas. She was off shore during D-Day and bombarded the coast of France. She proudly flies the Flag of Admiral of the Navy Chester W. Nimitz.
This is the training ship for the Texas A&M University at Galveston Maritime University. During the summers she travels throughout the world on training cruises.
On active duty with the US Navy and fired the first Tomahawk cruise missile of Desert Storm. She was commissioned near the site where the TEXAS is berthed on 23 January 1988. She flies the Texas flag, the Republic of Texas Navy Ensign and the burgee of her namesake that fought in the Second Texas Navy. She is the third ship in the US Navy to bear her name.
This barque that was built in 1877 is berthed behind the Seaport Museum in Galveston, Texas. During her sailing days she made the Port of Galveston several times. Tours are available through the museum.
This World War II PT boat that served in the Mediterranean during the war is currently in dry dock in Freeport, Texas, before continuing to her final resting place at the Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, Texas, where she will become a centerpiece in the Museum of the War in the Pacific.
The World War II submarine is berthed at the SeaWolf Park in Galveston, Texas.
This World War II aircraft carrier is moored in Corpus Christi, Texas. It serves as a museum and allows groups of children to spend the night on board to see what service aboard a carrier was like in World War II.
She also is on active duty with the US Navy and has the same Texas Navy flags as the SAN JACINTO and her burgee of the Flagship AUSTIN of the Second Texas Navy.
She was commissioned in a rare night time ceremony in Houston, Texas on 13 August 1994 and is currently at sea with the US Navy.
This nuclear powered submarine is the fourth ship to be named for the City of Houston and serves in the US Navy.
The DALLAS is another nuclear powered submarine commissionedon 18 June 1981.
USCGC Harry Clairborne (561)
The CLAIBORNE is currently based at the US Coast Guard Station in Galveston, Texas. She is named for a former lighthouse keeper at nearby Bolivar Roads Light House in 1895. The ship was commissioned in 2000 and is a highly capable buoy tender. She is designed and equipped to ably perform other missions, such as search and rescue, marine environmental protection, and maritime law enforcement.
On 22 June 1968 the keel of the NIMITZ, a nuclear aircraft carrier was laid on Newport News, Virginia. She was commissioned of 3 May 1975 at Norfolk, Virginia. She is named for Texan and Admiral of the Fleet Chester W. Nimitz. In 1991 the NIMITZ relieved the ANGER during OPERATION DESERT STORM. In May of 1998 she began a mid-life refueling overhaul that will allow her to provide our nation with another quarter of a century of service.
This nuclear aircraft carrier is named for General of the Army and President of the United States Dwight David Eisenhower who was also born in Texas. She was christened by his wife Mamie who was also the ship’s sponsor on 11 October 1975 and was commissioned 18 October 1977. She has completed eight Mediterranean deployments. She also served in the Red Sea during OPERATION DESERT STORM being the first carrier to maintain sustained operations there.
This Aegis destroyer was named for Marine Sergeant Alfredo “Freddy” Cantu Gonzalez born in Edinburg, Texas. Among the many medals he won was the Congressional Medal of Honor for his courageous service in Vietnam. She is designed to operate offensively and defensively with carrier groups and amphibious task groups in a multi threat environment.
This vessel was commissioned 8 January 1983 at the Naval Submarine base in New London, Connecticut. She is the second ship to be named after this coastal Texas city. She is nuclear powered fast attack submarine in the LOS ANGELES Class. Her current Captain is Commander Leonard G. Goff of El Paso, Texas.
The GALVESTON ISLAND was commissioned in June of 1992 and is in the ISLAND Class. She currently stationed with the Coast Guard Marinas Section in Guam. Three US Navy cruisers and a revenue cutter have borne the name GALVESTON. She was the last of her Class built.
USCGC Matagorda (WPB-1303) is an Island-class patrol boat of the United States Coast Guard. She was commissioned 24 April 1986. Matagorda was one of eight of the 110-foot cutters to be modified under the Integrated Deepwater System Program aka. "Deepwater" to 123-foot. She was taken out of service about December 2006 due to problems with the Deepwater conversion.
The USS ORLECK is a monument to the men and women who built her and to those who served aboard her. Commissioned on Sept. 15, 1945, she is the only Gearing Class destroyer to return to its birthplace (Orange, Texas) for use as a museum.
On 20th of October 2001 in a night time ceremony she was commissioned in Galveston, Texas. She was built in Bath, Maine. She is the most powerful and sophisticated Guided Missile Destroyer ever built. She carrys two helicopters and her five inch guns can fire a shell sixty miles.
The keel for this amphibious ship was laid 9 December 2000 and is scheduled to join the fleet in September of 2003. The Second Texas Navy had a ship of the same name that was lost in a hurricane.
This World War II PT boat sailed the Mediterranean Sea with PT-309. After being found and rescued by the crew that brought you the PT-309, it has found a new home at the D-Day Museum in New Orleans, LA, just down the road from where she was originally built.
This nuclear submarine is so new her keel has not even been laid at Newport News, Virginia. She will be in the VIRGINIA Class of submarines. When commissioned, she is scheduled to join the Atlantic Fleet.
SS EDWIN W MOORE
The SS EDWIN W. MOORE was commissioned as a Liberty Ship for the Merchant Marine in World War II at the Todd Shipyards in Houston, Texas in August 1943. Her first Captain, James Quinn, is believed to be a Texan as were most of her crew. She made many crossings with convoys to Europe during the war. She was named for the Commodore of the Second Texas Navy and along with the naming of a Texas county in the panhandle of Texas (Moore County), these are the only tributes that have been made to this brave Texan.